Friday, December 07, 2007

Dating a RoboHelp Project


Things are pretty eventful in the end of the year 2007. I was slowly wondering after the Annual appraisals that nothing more wrong could happen in my life when I was startled by this. The date was day before yesterday (December 5th 2007), exactly a month remaining for my next birthday.

This is a project that involves me documenting a part of an Admin module, and I had finished it with great satisfication, when suddenly tragedy struck in the form of RoboHelp struck. Couple of things that happens when such things happen- agitated, furious anger and what not. I was feeling all the same but more because this was the first time something such as this had screwed up. I can't explain what anxiety I had developed. Can you believe a mamoth project of more than 50 topics gone for a toss?

I dialled in some no's for help but none could help. I emailed to a mailing list but things didnt sort out. And then, I started drinking water and thought of what could happen if wrong. I did some troubleshooting lessons, uninstalled the software, renamed the project files but none could favor me.

The next morning, I reached office and first things first checked if the project was opening in other systems but it showed the same errors. I called up a senior writer who showed me a ray of life and said "don't worry! it can be sorted out". Well, I must thank her for taking time out and helping me out in this.

Here a couple of things that you should when you get screwed up with a RoboHelp project:

Don't panick; it doesn't help.
Go to the project folder; rename the .mpj folder and check if it opens post renaming.
If NOT, check the .xpj file and try opening it. 90% of the time it should open.
If NOT, than delete the .CPD file and try opening the file again
It should work. Again try reimporting the html topics and create the project.
If nothing works, than you need to pray that atleast the HTML topics that you have created in are all order.

No comments: